<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Randomness from a 2005 graduate of The Moritz College of Law at The Ohio State University

 

Monday, August 04, 2003

I have four more days of work left, and now I have work to do. The biggest assignment I have actually consists of fixing work done by other people. My small non-profit organization was the beneficiary of pro-bono work by a big law firm. The firm had two summer associates from prestigious schools who we were lucky enough to be able to use this summer. We had them write two memos. Both were awful. One of them wasn't very good, but also isn't a pressing matter, so I'm supposed to write up a little addendum with the relevant information. The other memo was slightly better, but still completely useless. All the summer associate did was summarize the law. We wanted her to apply it. And she spent six weeks not applying the law. The memo was full of nice little charts; all of which were directly copied from other documents. The only excuse I can come up with for these two summer associates is that maybe since we were a pro-bono project, they weren't given enough time to focus on their assignments for us. But since we met with them six weeks before they gave us the memos, I have a hard time accepting that excuse. Maybe they were just too busy enjoying the waterfront view out their window. So now I get to fix in two weeks what they couldn't do in six. I'm not worried though. I just wish we hadn't wasted time giving them the assignments in the first place, so I could have had more to do all summer.

Now I'm heading home from work to do work at Starbucks. I love Starbucks. Starbucks makes me happy. So does Caribou. If I have a grande non fat with whip mocha, I can do anything. Last year I almost enjoyed studying because I love my mochas so much. My only worry this year is that my sociopathic ex (not an exaggeration) may have usurped my favorite coffee shop while I was gone for the summer. I need to come up with a plan to deal with that problem. Because I absolutely cannot study at home. Instead I clean. Or I exercise. Or I re-alphabetize my books. Or I do all kinds of other random things. So I need my coffee shop. My future depends on it. |
Comments: Post a Comment