<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Randomness from a 2005 graduate of The Moritz College of Law at The Ohio State University

 

Wednesday, November 12, 2003

I am so glad I didn't go to the SBA "emergency" meeting today. I might have come unglued. How is it possible for law students to stand for absolutely nothing? It's not even the subject matter that gets to me (which it does); it is the fact that everyone thinks that violating the university's nondiscrimination policy is no big deal. That and the fact that there are Christians who see absolutely no problem with discrimination itself.

I became a Christian when I was a freshman in college. There have been a lot of changes in my life as a result of my faith, and there are many more changes that will always need to be made. I am ridiculously imperfect. And one of the beautiful things about Christianity is that I can take comfort in the fact that only Jesus was perfect.

I grew up in a very, very liberal family. I knew gay people before I knew what gay meant. I went to a pro-choice rally in Washington, DC for my 12th birthday present. We sang union songs in the car on family vacations. So that's what I came from politically.

Becoming a Christian affected all of my political views in some way. For the most part, it affected the underlying reasons for them. For example, I am now against the death penalty not just because it is applied in a discriminatory manner and does not work as a deterrent, but also because I am now overwhelmed by the moral implications of sentencing another human being to death and being the cause of that death.

Christianity also provides me with an even firmer foundation for why I must always fight against all discrimination. When Jesus was asked which of the ten commandments was the most important, he answered that there is no commandment greater than to love God and to love your neighbor as yourself. (Mark 12:28-31) Loving one another seems anathema to discrimination of any kind. I'm not even going to get into judging one another, because to me it is simply about the command to love.

So, all I can say is that I am glad I was not at the SBA meeting. |
Comments: Post a Comment