<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Randomness from a 2005 graduate of The Moritz College of Law at The Ohio State University

 

Wednesday, November 12, 2003

It has been a strange day. I found out this morning that one of my best friends from high school died from a drug overdose. We were inseparable all through 10th grade, stayed friends through the end of high school, and then attempted to stay in touch while I was in college. Eventually we drifted apart, primarily because of her drug use, and all that that entailed. Now it just feels weird. Should I have tried harder to stay her friend when her life was spinning out of control? Was there some way I could have convinced her that the life she was living was not as glamorous as it seemed? Was there something I could have done that would have convinced her to use her talents in some way other than stripping? I spent many nights whispering with her about boys; I traded clothes with her; I talked about eating disorders with her; I arranged for her to come to my house in an elaborate set up to meet some guy, and she did the same for me many times - and now she's dead. And the really disturbing part is I'm not that upset in a way, because I'm just not that shocked. The last time I ever saw her she was telling me stories about all the drugs she was doing. She told me how she and her friends would lock themselves in their apartment and hide the keys before they tripped because that way it was "safe." So, no, it's not a surprise. It just feels strange. |
Comments: Post a Comment