<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Randomness from a 2005 graduate of The Moritz College of Law at The Ohio State University

 

Saturday, April 10, 2004

I am currently trying to mentally prep myself for a night of religious turmoil and family induced torture. Tonight is my family's seder. For any Jewish readers, yes, I know it's the wrong night. Let me just point out that we often celebrate Hannukah in February because that's when my cousins from New England have spring break, so actually we are doing quite well. This (unlike Hannukah) will not even really be a family gathering. My father, step-mother, sister, and sister's girlfriend will be there. Other than that, there will be a random assortment of family friends, including the host who is a rude, drunk, mean, offensive man. Other than having to deal with him, I am dreading the inevitable religious persecution I will experience beginning in just over an hour.

Passover is all about deliverance from religious persecution. Okay, that's a slight simplification, but close enough. My family and the other people who will be at the seder tonight do not actually believe in God. But when you're Jewish, you don't necessarily have to, because Judaism is far more than a religion. What this means however is that throughout the evening, the gender of God will be changed when reading from the haggadah, political commentary will be frequent, and there will be far more instructions to "Drink!" than are actually included. Because I am a Christian, there will be interjections of "Is this offending you?" and "Oh, wait, she's a Christian." These sort of comments will increase exponentially as everyone drinks more. And they always make me read the wicked child passage. Also, although unrelated, everyone seems to feel the need to randomly yell out, "It would have been sufficient." Yes, this comes from the text; no, it doesn't relate to ANYTHING.

I have actually not been invited to Passover for the last several years. They invited me the first couple years after I became a Christian, and it turned out to be very unpleasant. Then I moved away, and it became a non-issue for a while. When I moved back to Columbus, I was just never invited. I figured I should go this year since they cared enough to invite me, but I am definitely apprehensive. My comfort will be that I will actually be thinking about the overarching religious meaning and particularly the Christian implications of Passover while they are harassing me. So I will be getting something out of it spiritually and I will know how much it would make them crazy if they knew what I was thinking. |
Comments: Post a Comment