<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Randomness from a 2005 graduate of The Moritz College of Law at The Ohio State University

 

Thursday, April 01, 2004

In response to the requests for scheduling advice, here is my very non-expert opinion. To start with, I have some general principles I adhere to. First, pick professors that you like (or think you will) over everything else. I personally cannot learn from professors I dislike personally or who have teaching styles I dislike. Second, choose classes that sound interesting. This is your very brief opportunity to learn; take advantage of it. Third, consider which classes you think will be useful in your career, in preparation for the bar, etc.

Now, OSU-specific advice. I will not, as has been requested by a couple of people, mention professors to avoid (although I have very strong opinions - email me). Here are the professors I recommend (in alphabetical order, so as to be fair). I recommend them for very different reasons though, so think about what you're looking for. There are many more professors who I have heard are good, but I don't want to comment on anyone who I have not actually had for class.

Brudney - Really smart (even by law school standards), demanding, engaging, entertaining, political...I really like him. And he encourages a lot of class discussion.
Dressler - Some people complain that he is arrogant, but I don't get this from him. He is highly organized and does not try to trick students - he makes what he is teaching very clear, so if you pay attention and read the assignments, you will learn and do well.
Enns - She seems dry, but really she's funny and interesting (even if she's a vegetarian) and really encouraging - can provide good real world perspective and advice.
Shane - High expectations, but very nice and kind of funny - definitely policy focused. Plus, everyone should take admin law to understand what goes on in the real world - it's not just common law anymore!
Simmons - He tries really hard, has great pictures on his slides, makes evidence as interesting as possible, and is quite good looking for a law professor. He has weekly online quizzes (which don't count toward your grade) to provide feedback, and gives 3 short writing assignments.
Swire - I adore him. He likes to encourage debate, is very policy oriented, and his DC background informs his teaching in a unique and wonderful way.
Travalio - He was the most demanding professor I have had in law school. This means I learned a LOT from him. It took 3 months for me not to be afraid of him, but I ended up wanting to take anything he offered.

So, good luck to everyone as you figure out what to take next year, and don't close me out of my classes! |
Comments: Post a Comment