<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Randomness from a 2005 graduate of The Moritz College of Law at The Ohio State University

 

Friday, May 28, 2004

Today I, and apparently every other clerk in Columbus, went to a legal research and writing seminar put on by the Columbus Bar Association. It was a good effort, but I hope my firm didn't pay too much for it. First we had an hour and a half session about legal writing. Considering it was taught by the professor that every single OSU 2L has for appellate advocacy it ended up just being an incredibly truncated version of that class. I did notice the girl next to me actually taking notes occasionally, so maybe it was helpful for non-OSU people. Or people who didn't pay attention the first time. Then we had other sessions in smaller groups. I decided to pass on the "internet search engines" class. I know more ways than is good for me about searching online already. I also skipped cost effective research because my firm gets basically everything I would ever want included in their flat rate. My first session was about Ohio cases and citations. I thought that would be fairly useful since Ohio insists on using its own bizarre citation format and prohibiting citation of practically everything useful. Unfortunately, it was not quite as helpful as I might have hoped. The librarian who taught it needed about 2 1/2 hours to get to the information he was supposed to cover in 30 minutes. So basically we got what you might expect out of 20% of a presentation. The second session was about Ohio statutes and administrative rules. I knew most of what was taught from working at the Senate, but it was a nice refresher and probably very useful to people who haven't used the O.R.C. much. Finally we had a panel with five attorneys talking about how they got where they are and giving advice and the usual sort of stuff. They were relatively interesting, but hopefully no one needed their advice. It was recommended that if you can't turn an assignment in on time, "don't hide." I'll try to remember that. Most of the advice was along those lines. They were talking about work/life balance and a woman from the A.G.'s office said that she has to admit that right before a trial she sometimes has to work 100 hours in a two week period. There was audible laughter. It may not have been groundbreaking, but they were all decent speakers and somewhat interesting. Afterwards I got to talk to one of the speakers who had clerked for the judge who I will be externing with in the fall. She gave me some very valuable advice, so in the end the seminar was worthwhile. Although it did give me a kind of sick feeling seeing so many people from school again (except Chris, of course). Now I get to spend my weekend doing work since I spent 5 hours of my day at this seminar. |
Comments: Post a Comment