<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Randomness from a 2005 graduate of The Moritz College of Law at The Ohio State University

 

Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Today the school sent us an email about judicial clerkships. Basically it said they were glad so many people had already expressed interest and turned their lists in and other generally encouraging sorts of stuff. Then it suggested that some people need to expand their lists and others need to narrow their lists. There is a slight chance I am in the second group. There is also a slight chance that the second comment was aimed ONLY at me. You see I spent many, many hours (like 20) narrowing the list down....to 1028 judges. I fully recognize that is an absurd number. Assuming it costs on average 75 cents to mail the applications that is $771, and it would probably cost more than that to mail the applications anyway with recommendations and writing samples and three day windows. So obviously I intend to cut the list down further, but that is hard to do when you're looking at a list of more than 3,000 judges. So far I've narrowed it down by eliminating magistrate judges, places I would absolutely never want to go, and judges who require certain degrees or experienced lawyers. But that leaves a lot. I am willing to go a lot of places for what I have no doubt would truly be the greatest legal job ever. And I'm not exactly highly qualified, so I figure if I apply everywhere it raises the odds slightly. I will narrow my list based on several remaining factors, but I'm not going to be pressured into narrowing it more than I want or before I am ready. |
Comments: Post a Comment