<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Randomness from a 2005 graduate of The Moritz College of Law at The Ohio State University

 

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

I have been on this movie watching rampage lately, so with all the year-end movie rankings, I decided I wanted to make my own list. So this is my ranking of the movies I watched in 2004. I allowed myself to go back to November, 2003 releases so that I could include my #1 movie that I watched this year, 21 Grams. I didn’t go back any further, even though the new releases at the video store are currently from as far back as September, 2003, so I have been watching some slightly older movies recently. Movies released in 2003 are marked with a *.

*21 Grams – The best movie I watched all year. A remarkable and non-confusing use of time-shifting. Seriously flawed characters who you cared about.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind – Thought provoking, upsetting, touching.
Sideways – Almost as good as all the reviewers are saying.
Kinsey – Really interesting, all about relationships without being a relationship movie.
Before Sunset – Too talky, but exactly the kind of conversation that makes life meaningful.
Fahrenheit 9/11 – Really good, comforting and inspiring to see in a packed theater on opening night, just too documentary-ish to rank higher.
*Something’s Gotta Give – You have to like older people falling in love without it being gross.
Laws of Attraction – Thoroughly enjoyable. I actually thought Pierce Brosnan was hot for the first time.
Wicker Park – The trailers were completely misleading because the movie wasn’t at all creepy. But it was good. And Josh Hartnett is hot.
Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement – Absolutely delightful. I even kind of like the Kelly Clarkson song that is played incessantly on the radio because it brings back the pleasant mood of the movie.
Manchurian Candidate – My grandparents think it’s better than the original, which I have not seen. It was good, but I didn’t think it was remarkable.
*Monster – Not as good as I hoped. I wanted more characters or something. And a makeover for Charlize Theron like at the end of all those bet-to-get-the-girl movies.
Starsky & Hutch – Funny, fun, nothing phenomenal, except for maybe Snoop Dogg.
Spiderman 2 – Shockingly violent, but good.
Troy – Decent. Brad Pitt.
Vanity Fair – Has the director ever heard of character development? I have never watched a movie where I spent so long hating so many characters. And it was long.
Stepford Wives – Barely tolerable, which was especially disappointing after several friends raved about it.
I Heart Huckabees – Every time I fell asleep during the movie I woke up wishing I was still asleep. Good (famous) actors; awful movie.
*Triplets of Belleville – If it had been a five minute clip before a real movie it would have been entertaining. It wasn’t.

There are so many movies I want to see right now, that hopefully in another month I will have an equally long list.
|
Comments: Post a Comment