<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Randomness from a 2005 graduate of The Moritz College of Law at The Ohio State University

 

Friday, January 14, 2005

Wednesday night on Law and Order, ADA Serena Sutherlyn was fired (who would want to work for Fred Thompson in real life or on tv, anyway?). Her response was "It's not because I'm a lesbian, is it?" I, and from my research, everyone else watching, was completely confused. I have now had the time to research past episodes and search the internet, and it does not appear there was any foundation laid for this statement at all. Maybe it was a poor attempt to set up some future episode or maybe it was just bad writing, but it was definitely out of nowhere. I really like when Law and Order brings in more of the characters' personal lives, but it needs to be more consistent. For example, Detective Stabler (the hot Christopher Meloni) was going through a lot of turmoil early in the season because his wife had left him. In a couple episodes he got violent and seemed to be having a real emotional crisis. The next few weeks, I was far more interested to see how that developed than to see who they mistakenly suspected before catching the real bad guy. But that entire story line was forgotten until this past week's episode where he suddenly missed his family again, and they came to see him at work for his birthday. I love Law and Order and SVU. I'm not going to stop watching them over these sort of weaknesses. But I really think the key to their continued longevity is to make viewers feel invested in the characters, which can be done by more consistent, logical stories about the characters' personal lives. We learned so much about Detective Briscoe over the years, that I was genuinely sad when I heard Jerry Orbach had died. That whole week, every time "In loving memory of Jerry Orbach" flashed on the screen at the end of a rerun, it brought tears to my eyes. Make us feel that way about all of the characters, and Law and Order will be around forever. |
Comments: Post a Comment