<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Randomness from a 2005 graduate of The Moritz College of Law at The Ohio State University

 

Sunday, April 10, 2005

I am currently doing work outdoors, in the sun. At this moment, that makes me almost as happy as I was a few weeks ago doing work overlooking the ocean. Almost.

I am really sad about school ending. In many ways, these have been three of the most enjoyable years of my life, because it was such a wonderful break from the real world to be able to just focus on learning again, and, in particular, about such interesting, important, challenging topics. I will never have the luxury again of learning for its own sake in quite the same way. There are many things I am looking forward to about the future, of course, but I am still sad that this phase of my life is ending.

I tried to post this the other day, but you know how blogger can be... One of the funniest moments of my law school career (and we all know just how hilarious law school is, right?) occurred the other day when it was revealed in class that Judge Sutton did not know what a Smurf was. Who doesn't know what a Smurf is??? They are part of American culture. History, even. He tried to blame it on not letting his children watch much television, but I grew up only allowed to watch Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers, and I still know what Smurfs are. This was particularly funny because he had begun the class attempting to use various pop culture/sports metaphors to describe white collar crimes. Attempting, I said. But the man, a federal circuit judge, doesn't know what a Smurf is. Sometimes being able to reference Caligula and knowing what year the Sherman Act was passed only go so far. |
Comments: Post a Comment