<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Randomness from a 2005 graduate of The Moritz College of Law at The Ohio State University

 

Monday, April 04, 2005

I suppose I ought to write something new. Things are rather crazy as school comes to an end. My final trial for trial practice is two weeks from today, so that's my first major thing to worry about. Then three days later is my legal profession exam. It is so hard to care in that class. If I didn't like our new professor, it would really make me crazy. I only have two other exams, which are at the very end of the exam period, so that gives me plenty of time to prepare. But I still feel frantic. In two weeks there will be tons of relatives in town for my grandfather's birthday, then the following weekend is passover, and then it's exam time. It just feels like there isn't enough time for everything.

I guess maybe it's time to reflect on law school, or something like that. I really have enjoyed it the vast majority of the time since the very beginning. Sure, there were lots of days where I was exhausted or bored or anxious, but overall, it has been interesting and worthwhile. Here are what I think were the best things about law school, from my perspective.

1. Professors - I think the absolutely best thing about Ohio State is the professors, and I give them a lot of credit for making law school a positive experience for me. Even in the classes I didn't like, I always felt like I had professors who were dedicated to teaching and who were really there for the students. The professors I have developed relationships with over the past three years have taught me so much, I can't even put it into words. It has always felt like an honor that these amazing scholars are willing to welcome me into their world and always treat me with respect. I have gotten to know several brilliant, funny, giving, and wonderfully unique professors, and I hope that I am able to stay in touch with them in the future.

2. Practical experiences - A lot of people complain that law school doesn't teach you how to be a lawyer, and that it needs to be more practical. Without any great effort on my part, I found that there were numerous opportunities for practical experience while in law school, and that they were, in fact, highly beneficial. I took part in the legislation clinic (volunteering in a state senator's office), the judicial externship program (externing for a federal district court judge), and the prosecution practicum (prosecuting misdemeanors). These three experiences let me put what I had learned into action, and gave me three very diverse perspectives on important aspects of the practice of law. Each one strongly impacted my perception of the law and what I think I want to do with my life. I enjoyed a lot of my traditional classes, but these are the ones that show you how the theoretical classes can be used in the real world.

I can't think of anything else right now that warrants a whole category. Here are the things that were most disappointing to me about law school.

1. The people -After being out of school for four years, I came to law school excited to meet people in my age range, with similar interests, and to develop those life-long friendships you hear about. There have been the few, wonderful exceptions, but for the most part I met people who embody all of the negative stereotypes about lawyers. People who are petty, insecure, arrogant, and only out for themselves. I know that sounds harsh, but it is unfortunately true. I don't mean for that diminish the few awesome people I've met, but I am continually disappointed by the character of the people around me.

That's my only real negative. Maybe sometime soon I will be introspective enough to figure out if I've actually learned anything from law school. |
Comments: Post a Comment